Monday, September 18, 2006

Radiator & hubs

Spent yesterday morning at a local classic car show with a couple of good friend in our Robin Hoods, and I also bumped into Dave Smart who manufactures the Mini based Funbuggy (http://www.funbuggies.co.uk/). Had a piece of real luck meeting up with a friend who just happened to have with him the correct Polo radiator for the Mongoose - how lucky is that!

So the first part of the afternoon was dedicated to making the Metro cooling fan fit onto the Polo radiator. I had some assistance from a neighbour Adam who has just got a degree in Motorsport Engineering, which is quite handy! We took the cooling fan off the Metro radiator and offered it up to the Polo one. The first obvious thing to be removed was the clips on the top and bottom of the fan which held it to the Metro radiator which would then allow it to lay flat against the Polo one. Once we had removed these we made up three brackets out of flat steel strip to support the fan.

These screwed into the original mounts on the radiator end tanks, and hold the fan securely. We offered it into place to make sure nothing was in the way, which it wasn't.

Next job was to remove the bottom ball joints from the hubs. Sounds a simple job right? Wrong! Probably a lot easier when the items are supported on the vehicle, rather than chasing them round the drive whilts hitting them with a big hammer. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we gave up on trying to retain the ball joints (they are removed but knocking out the rivets that hold them to the bottom arm, which didn't want to be knocked out), and cut away with the grinder until they came free of the hubs. So off to the motor factors for 2 new bottom ball joints....

Wishbones hsould arrive this week so hopefully it will be on its wheels in a couple of weeks.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Gear linkage part 3 - the end

Been a bit quiet on the Mongoose with other commitments and also I am building a small car for my sons birthday present which is next weekend so pressure is on other things.....

Spent a little while the other day on the gear linkage, following a conversation with Onyx regarding the problems I was having with getting the linkage through the bulkhead rails. Onyx had assembled one of the chassis's themselves and discovered the same problem, but their way round it was to modify the bracket which the 'L' arm pivots on to make it further out from the centre line of the car - this is done by slotting the holes - which makes the rod go between the two vertical rails in the bulkhead and miss the engine mounting bolts

So I drew a deep breath and cut off my nice universal joint system on the main tube and welded back on the original tube (doh!). I then measured up the length for the main tube to be welded onto the gearshift. As the ID of the tube is much greater than the OD of the rod from the gearshift, I welded some tube round the outside of the rod to the tube sat central.

I then slid the tube over the rod and tack welded it into place, checking the alignment of the bracket at the end of the rod. I then offered this into place and connected the rod which lifts the the operating arm on the gearbox, which it appeared to operate OK.

Next job was to cut and reweld the main operating arm on the gearbox. This normally consists of a heavy weight and a long arm.

This is cut and rewelded on the Mongoose to shorten to operating length. To allow space for the ball joint to be pushed on and off I had to weld on the shortened arm at an angle, and I came up with this Heath Robinson method of holding it - the spanner wedged in creates the angle.

Once I had tacked it each side (being careful not to weld the spanner to it) I removed the support and welded it across the top, and popped on the ball joint.

The moment of truth.......I grabbed the gear lever firmly........click....1st, click 2nd, click 3rd, 4th, 5th......clunk..reverse.... Needs some final adjustment but otherwise we are sorted in the gear selection department.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Gear linkage part 2

Well I am still about.....busy week so no progress then went to the Red Bull Air Race at Longleat yesterday......to have it cancelled at 4pm after hanging around or queuing in the car most of the day....great fun with a pair of bored toddlers in the car.....not!

Back to the car. Managed to get a couple of hours in this morning. Basically got the front half of the linkage sorted. I have welded in a universal joint from a steering column to allow the angle between the gear shift and the gear linkage at the rear, also allowing for some adjustment by having a threaded section. (Note the subtle 'adjustment' tool in shot!) Last problem to solve is how to support the tube as it goes through the bulkhead.



Todays top tip.....as you can see I have the section near the UJ which allows for adjustment



To get the nut central in the UJ section (hollow tube) I wrapped masking tape round threaded bar I was using to hold the nut until it was the same diameter as the ID of the tube so it fitted snugly inside the tube, welded the nut on the end of the tube, then removed the threaded bar and the tape dropped out via the UJ joint. (Hope this makes sense!) The other side is a allen key type head bolt which fits sungly into the tube going to the rear of the car. I have welded the nut to the end of the tube and will drill two holes in by the head of the bolt (which is inside the tube) to plug weld it in position.

At the back the rods are in position. The main actuation arm on the gearbox (top left) requires modification - basically the large balance weight will be hacked off and the ball joint welded close to the pivot point (future posts will make more sense of this). The other arm is already in position.